Junior History Press
Former site of Battery Marshall
These houses sit on part of the former location of Confederate Battery Marshall. This was a large earthworks fort that held soldiers, cannon, magazines and a bombproof structure to protect the troops. The fort was part of the overall defense of Charleston. Its main object was to prevent Federal vessels from entering Breach Inlet. The submarine Hunley and its crew were moved to the protection of the fort in the winter of 1863. This placed them closer to the Federal fleet. However, for several weeks the crew had to walk from their quarters in Mount Pleasant to Battery Marshall to operate their little boat. This was a cold, windy walk of seven miles.
Back to Civil War Sites
To Books Available on the Hunley
Return to Home Page of Junior History Press